Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day Two Down--Looking to TGIF

Second day of school went off without a hitch.  All cogs in the wheel seem to be operating smoothly.  I know my body and brain isn't used to the all day every day hustle and bustle of it just yet. I gotta get to bed earlier!!!

Today in class we did a compare/contrast journal entry using a Vienn Diagram.  Students had to pick a character from a movie or book and then compare/contrast themselves with that character. 
We then read one of Kelley Gallagher's non-fiction news articles of the week.  It was about a girl protesting Seventeen Magazine's use of photoshopping pictures of models. She believes that these photos subliminally send the message that young girls and their bodies aren't "pretty" enough. I used some "MAXX" teaching concepts, along with peer reading to understand the text.  Both of these teaching ideas are based on Common Core info I've received this summer.  We will finish the article tomorrow.  I was very pleased at all students' input and participation in this group activity today.  Great job 8th Graders!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment